FOR THE HEALTH OF IT

The journey of my life.

Name:
Location: Anytown, USA, United States

I am a daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, wife, daughter-in-law, lover, friend, and nurse. I have lived my life trying to please everyone. I'm not sure what would be left if those titles were to go away. About Ron: I am Candy's husband. My previous life before undertaking this trip was working in the paper manufacturing industry in the Pacific Northwest. I am taking this time off to have the adventure of my life, meet new people, get fit, discover our country on a more personal level, and accomplish something that I will always remember which is to circumnavigate the US on a HPV(Human Powered Vehicle). I am 52.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Nov 11th Trinidad CA

The picture on the left was taken on the roadside somewhere in the redwoods. Candy was playing with the streamers fluttering above. I thought it was a good shot of her. The weather since Crescent City has been good. We have been riding through the coast redwoods for the last three days, and the scenery has been unforgettable. It was like riding through a postcard. The most memorable section of road so far has been the James B. Drury Parkway. It is an old section of 101 running through some of the best of the redwoods. These trees are huge, in diameter and height. They are so big; it is difficult, even standing amongst them, to comprehend it. One cannot appreciate how majestic they are without actually being near them. Because it is November, we were able to coast down the Parkway in calm and silence, with very little traffic to concern us. The afternoon sun sending shafts of light through the giants moved me in ways that I don’t often feel. Sunlight streaming through stained glass windows in a silent cathedral would be an apt comparison, I think.

I wanted to stop and explore every different grove, but we needed to get to our camp. This was our first experience with a California state park system campground, and it was a good one. The Elk Prairie Campground had wild Roosevelt Elk grazing within 30 feet of rv’s and tents. About an hour after the sun went down, we had a front row seat watching two bulls joust, their heads down and antlers interlocked, clacking away. The campground was clean and well kept, with metal bear boxes to store our food in. The bear boxes gave Candy concern. Then I mentioned the mountain lions. It was not appreciated. But we survived. Ron.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Candy and Ron--

Just a note to let you know that we're following your trip here at the Bike Fun blog for the [Portland] Oregonian.

Good luck with your ride!

Bill

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still sing this song to Kristiina to wake her up. She reacts the typical we all did...by groaning and throwing pillows in my general direction. Isn't it funny how some things get passed down through the generations?

k

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Site Counter