FOR THE HEALTH OF IT

The journey of my life.

Name:
Location: Anytown, USA, United States

I am a daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, wife, daughter-in-law, lover, friend, and nurse. I have lived my life trying to please everyone. I'm not sure what would be left if those titles were to go away. About Ron: I am Candy's husband. My previous life before undertaking this trip was working in the paper manufacturing industry in the Pacific Northwest. I am taking this time off to have the adventure of my life, meet new people, get fit, discover our country on a more personal level, and accomplish something that I will always remember which is to circumnavigate the US on a HPV(Human Powered Vehicle). I am 52.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Oakland Airport

Tonight we are in the Oakland Airport La Quinta that I booked on hotels.com from my laptop in Marin County, just a few hours from flying back to Washington for a Christmas holiday with family and friends. We are really looking forward to this. We got our Greenspeed, trailer, and most of our gear stowed in a rental unit in Corte Madera, then got a taxi over to Oakland. This is my first time to be in the Bay Area, and I am certainly glad I didn't have to do the driving from Marin County to Oakland. I must say that Marin County is one very wealthy community. Even more so than I first thought. Very understated, though. Every other car is a Volvo, a BMW, a Mercedes station wagon, or a Range Rover. It's amazing.

Ron

It was nice finding an REI here. I was able to fine tune some of our camping needs. I miss shopping.
A woman stopped to visit about the bike, she was quite the rider most of her life and was pleased to tell of her riding way before it was cool to ride. She quit when she was 50, I started at 56.
There are alot more bike riders in Marin county and alot more bike paths. Apparently Marin County has recieved a $25 million grant for bike paths.
There are alot of motorcycles on the road and I really want to get on the bike and finish the ride everytime one goes by us.
$10.00/day budget was a joke, especially here in California. Unlike Oregon State Parks Hiker/Biker $2.00/night, California's are twice as much and you must pay for showers. Private camp grounds are $25-50. Food is more expensive as we are shopping in small mom/pop stores and we can't carry large quanities. Every penny we have spent has been worth it as the coast scenery is beyond description.
Now we tell people our trip will last for 3 years or until the money runs out. Candy

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You could get a flight to either the San Francisco International Airport, or the Oakland airport. From the SFO, taking a cab would take around 20 minutes to reach the city and it should cost somewhere around $30. As for oakland airport cabs , taking the cab could cost twice as much.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Site Counter