FOR THE HEALTH OF IT

The journey of my life.

Name:
Location: Anytown, USA, United States

I am a daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, wife, daughter-in-law, lover, friend, and nurse. I have lived my life trying to please everyone. I'm not sure what would be left if those titles were to go away. About Ron: I am Candy's husband. My previous life before undertaking this trip was working in the paper manufacturing industry in the Pacific Northwest. I am taking this time off to have the adventure of my life, meet new people, get fit, discover our country on a more personal level, and accomplish something that I will always remember which is to circumnavigate the US on a HPV(Human Powered Vehicle). I am 52.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Back Home at Silverlake

We are now back in our little trailer in Silverlake Washington. At the moment, I am enjoying my Christmas gift from my mother, her fruitcake made from fermented fruit. Honestly, it's really delicious. Our flight from Oakland went without incident. Except that we nearly missed it. We were sitting at gate 8A, and our plane was at gate 8. If I hadn't heard the last call announcement, we would have missed it for sure.

Had fun with my little Garmin GPS unit on the flight. Sitting next to the window, it was able to aquire satellites and I used it to identify exactly where we were over the ground, how fast we were flying, and our altitude. The GPS unit has been one of the good things we brought along that has earned it's keep. I frequently turn it on while we are pedaling just to see where we are in relation to the next town, or if we are in a town I can use it to find my way around to locate places to eat or sleep or shop. It proved to be very useful in Marin County when I was trying to locate the storage company, and again later the same day when our taxi driver could not find our motel in Oakland.

The weather at the moment in Southwest Washington is not the usual 40 or 50 degrees with rain. It is clear and cold, and has been that way for the last 10 days or so. Candy and I have had to work to keep the water pipes from freezing. These trailers are not made for cold weather living. When we first arrived, the house was frigid, but we were able to warm it up using a small electric heater and the propane stove top. However, I had not counted on the mattress still being frozen when I went to bed. That was a bit of shock.

I am going to use this time at home base to rest, think about how to improve the trike and some of our camp gear, and enjoy family and friends. I will continue to post during our vacation, but not as often. One post I want to do while home is an article on what has worked well and not so well with our camp gear and clothing, and what has worked well and not so well with our trike.

Ron.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Welcome home. Have an enjoyable vacation at home and a good Christmas. It is cold over in Eastern Washington as well.

Steve

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Steve. Merry Christmas to you. Ron.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

give em hell ron. a.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Site Counter