FOR THE HEALTH OF IT

The journey of my life.

Name:
Location: Anytown, USA, United States

I am a daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, wife, daughter-in-law, lover, friend, and nurse. I have lived my life trying to please everyone. I'm not sure what would be left if those titles were to go away. About Ron: I am Candy's husband. My previous life before undertaking this trip was working in the paper manufacturing industry in the Pacific Northwest. I am taking this time off to have the adventure of my life, meet new people, get fit, discover our country on a more personal level, and accomplish something that I will always remember which is to circumnavigate the US on a HPV(Human Powered Vehicle). I am 52.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

What's It's Like to Ride the Greenspeed

From the captains point of view: You sit very low to the ground. I can take my hand off the steering and let it trail along the pavement if want. This gives a very stable and secure feeling in traffic. I never am concerned about wobbling or bobbling with traffic passing me. We have two tall flags on the stokers seat, with reflective streamers attached that make us visible to traffic. The low seating position gives the feeling of sitting in the bike rather than on it. I can afford to gaze around a little more at the scenery because I don't have to watch the road so closely. I can stop whenever I want, and go again with no drama or worry about being in the proper gear. A few nights ago, we pulled off the road to take a little breather on a steep hill climb. I never would have done that on my Rans two wheel tandem recumbent. When we get home after a ride, we feel tired, but not sore at all.

Going downhill is a real thrill. The trike gains speed very quickly due to our weight, the fairing, and low frontal area. 35 miles per hour is the fastest I have gone down a steep hill near our home. That feels really fast when your butt is 10 inches off the pavement. I am sure that when we get on the road during our trip we will be able to hit much higher speeds on long downhill grades. I expect to see speeds of 5o to 70 miles per hour, just coasting, on some grades. I ordered the trike with hydraulic disc brakes on all three wheels just because I knew we would need them to keep our speed under control.

More on what the riding experience is like in later posts. Ron.

From the stokers point of view: You sit very low to the ground. This is good for me as I am afraid of heights and falling. The position is comfortable. I use clip on shoes as once I lost my footing. The pedal hit my shin, Ron, unaware, kept on peddling and my foot was flailing around and around while I tried to get it back in place. I am learning how to synchronize my self with Ron. He is so much stronger than I, much more experienced at riding, and is very patient with me. It is becoming easier for me every trip we take. I absolutely do not need to pay attention, all I need to do is pedal. I check out the scenery, relax my head on the head rest and close my eyes, file my nails, or read, all the while I pedal.

There is quite a bit of difference in the ride on the Greespeed as compared to the Rans two wheeled tandem. The Greenspeed is much easier to pedal, it is amazing . The turning is quite different, it happens sharply and quickly. It feels similar to playing crack the whip with the extra little energy affecting the last person, I feel as though I will fall from the seat. When we are coasting down hill at a fast rate of speed I find it necessary to lean into the corners for added stability. Stopping is great. Hydraulic disc brakes stop more efficiently and have all ready saved us from an accident. A car backed out of a driveway with a boat parked on the street and the setting sun behind us, Ron had us stopped in plenty of time.

Like Ron said, 'More later.' Candy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Site Counter