FOR THE HEALTH OF IT

The journey of my life.

Name:
Location: Anytown, USA, United States

I am a daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, wife, daughter-in-law, lover, friend, and nurse. I have lived my life trying to please everyone. I'm not sure what would be left if those titles were to go away. About Ron: I am Candy's husband. My previous life before undertaking this trip was working in the paper manufacturing industry in the Pacific Northwest. I am taking this time off to have the adventure of my life, meet new people, get fit, discover our country on a more personal level, and accomplish something that I will always remember which is to circumnavigate the US on a HPV(Human Powered Vehicle). I am 52.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

July 31, 2005

My last day at work at Kadlec Medical Center was July 29, 2005.

I had asked for the day off or a “low census” and didn’t get one. The unwritten rule is for a ‘pot luck’ to take place in honor of the person leaving. My assignment was to ‘float’, powers that be know that the person leaving isn’t very productive, and I wasn’t.
I was not sad that it was my last day. It was time to leave. I was anxious to start my new adventure “FOR THE HEALTH OF IT”

Working without a goal is not fulfilling. Yes, there is still the need for patient advocates and I will always be an advocate. Yes there is a nursing shortage but not enough to raise the pay or offer better benefits. The nursing shortage for me means longer hours, more call, the inability to get time off and lots of call. Under these circumstances it seems that coworkers just put their time in, not working as a team, just doing what must be done, nothing more.

I remember going to work at Kadlec Medical Center. I was excited about working HEARTS and opening a new unit. I was looking forward to developing a mission and goals, writing policies and procedures, organizing cupboards and storage, and developing processes for the heart room. So much to learn…and I did, plus more. Not only did I open the unit, learn to circulate and scrub hearts, I learned to assist the surgeons. What a privilege and responsibility.

During the next three years while biking the USA I will offer free Blood Pressures and share heart and diabetic risk factors with those I meet along the way.

Among all that I will experience and learn about myself mentally, physically and spiritually I hope that I renew my interest and develop new goals to strive for within the nursing field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Site Counter