FOR THE HEALTH OF IT

The journey of my life.

Name:
Location: Anytown, USA, United States

I am a daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, wife, daughter-in-law, lover, friend, and nurse. I have lived my life trying to please everyone. I'm not sure what would be left if those titles were to go away. About Ron: I am Candy's husband. My previous life before undertaking this trip was working in the paper manufacturing industry in the Pacific Northwest. I am taking this time off to have the adventure of my life, meet new people, get fit, discover our country on a more personal level, and accomplish something that I will always remember which is to circumnavigate the US on a HPV(Human Powered Vehicle). I am 52.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

June, 29, 2005

3 months into planning and preparing FOR THE HEALTH OF IT I was asked why I would leave my job, my home and sell everything we own to ride a bike with out a particular destination for an indefinite period of time.

I think I'll start from the beginning…Ron was downsized and looking for a new job. We were traveling to an interview about 200 miles away on the rainy side of the mountains in Oregon. I knew I would go with Ron wherever he went and that I would make the best of it. However this time it didn’t feel right.

Flights of fancy overtook me as we traveled on the freeway... Wouldn’t it be great to just take off and go where ever the road led us?... The price of gas would make traveling on the motorcycles pretty spendy... I could ride with Ron and cut the cost by half... No, I like riding my own motorcycle... But it could be done... Hey, we like riding the tandem bicycle. What about a bike trip? No gas expenses, just human power, peddling our asses around the country, burning calories, exercising all day. What a side effect, loosing weight, strength training... Only 10 years to retirement and we could take off.

If I wait until retirement the side effect of diabetes will probably kill me or worse yet leave me unable to go. This could be a great way to get my Adult Onset Diabetes under control. No stress from work! No stress making ends meet! I could get on a regular eating, sleeping, exercising, and medication schedule. No house to clean. No yard to mow. We wouldn’t be slaves to the things we own or are paying for… we could own our things. We could reevaluate what is truly important.

So while traveling down the rode I laid it out. “Ron, wouldn’t it be neat to sell everything we own and go for a 2-3 year bike ride?”

We tossed it around for several days and decided we would do it.
And thus began, for the mental, physical, spiritual health of it, the journey of our lives.

1 Comments:

Blogger marie said...

Hi Candy,

Marie here. Good luck! Drew and I may try something similar, but in the hippie van, not bikes! Good on ya! I'm looking forward to keeping up with your adventure!

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Site Counter